The most common type of baldness is androgenetic alopecia (AA), or pattern hair loss. When it occurs in men, it’s referred to as male-pattern baldness; in women, it’s called female-pattern baldness. AA accounts for 95 percent of all cases of head-only hair loss and it results when, for reasons yet uncovered, hair follicles become sensitive to the hormone —dihydrotestosterone or DHT.
This hormone, which is formed due to the contact of the male hormone, testosterone, and the enzyme, 5-alpha reductase, is the leading cause of baldness in both men and women. Other common causes of baldness include deficiency of nutrients in the body, improper hair care, hormonal imbalance and underlying medication condition.
Causes of Baldness
1. Vitamin and Mineral Deficiency
The lack of vitamins and minerals is the body is said to be one of the most common causes of baldness, next to DHT. With that being said, to achieve optimal hair growth, an individual must have a well-balanced diet rich with fruits and vegetables that contain various vitamins and minerals needed by the follicles to regrow healthily.
2. Diseases and Medication
Hair loss and hair thinning condition is a potential side effect of using chemotherapeutic drugs and various radiation therapies. The extent of hair loss or alopecia depends on the duration and dose of therapy. Other drugs that induce baldness are radiation therapies, which can damage stem cells and follicles, resulting to brittle hair strands. Some cancer patients who undergo radiation therapy may sustain permanent loss of hair.
3. Hormonal Imbalance
Like DHT and malnutrition, hormonal fluctuation is among the most common causes of baldness. The rise in hormone levels during pregnancy can send the hair into its resting phase, so the strands that would naturally fall out does not. Several months after delivery, most women would experience hair loss—this is because the hormone level returns to normal.
4. Improper Hair Care
Prolonged exposure to ultraviolet rays can damage the hair strands, making it dry, dull, brittle and lifeless. Other times, it may just be the hair products that are unsuitable for the hair type. That being said, avoiding the use of chemically-treated products and hairstyling treatment is necessary since they may induce the onset of hair loss and hair thinning problem.
You might also be interested in:
- Hair Loss Cure – 4 Types of Hair Loss Cures for Men
- Hair Regrowth – The Best Natural Hair Regrowth Solutions for Men
- Hair Growth – Healthier Hair Growth for Men with Balding Problems
- Thinning Hair – Confidence in Thinning Hair
- Male Pattern Baldness
- Hair Growth Products – 3 Popular Hair Growth Products fo Men
- Hair Thinning – Introducing the Leimo Hair Thinning Treatment
- Hair Regrowth Treatnent – Laser Hair Regrowth Treatment
- Hair Loss Products – Active Agents in Hair Loss Product
- Hair Loss Treatment for Men – Features of the Best Hair Loss Treatment for Men
- Causes of Hair Loss – Causes of Hair Loss and Treatment Options
- Best Hair Loss Treatment
- Female Pattern Baldness and its Treatment
- Natural Hair Loss Treatment
If you would like to link to article sheet on your website, simply copy the code below and add it to your page or Share this with a Friend:
Leimo is the world-leader in home-based Hair Loss Treatments and is on a mission to help millions of people put hair loss behind them. Regrow your hair today in the privacy and convenience of your own home and join our other satisfied users.